If you have teeth that are crooked, gapped or misaligned, you are not alone. More than four million people in the U.S. wear braces to correct orthodontic issues, a million of whom are adults. Fortunately, orthodontic treatment is no longer limited to metal brackets and wires.
Modern options like Invisalign® offer a convenient, comfortable and virtually unnoticeable alternative to conventional metal braces.
To schedule an appointment or a free orthodontic consultation, contact South Natick Dental today online or at 508-655-8020. Our friendly office welcomes patients from throughout Massachusetts, including Natick, Wellesley, Dover and Sherborn.
What Is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a popular and effective alternative to conventional metal braces for older teens and adults. Rather than using conspicuous metal wires and brackets that can trap food and stain your teeth, Invisalign utilizes of a series of clear plastic aligner trays that gradually straighten your teeth.
These transparent trays are convenient, comfortable, and virtually unnoticeable to others. Many adults feel self-conscious about the idea of wearing braces in social and professional settings, but when you choose Invisalign, most people won’t even notice you’re undergoing orthodontic treatment.
The aligners are custom-crafted to slowly shift your teeth into place over the course of several months. Every patient is unique, but generally, you can expect Invisalign treatment to last for around 6 to 12 months. This is faster than most traditional orthodontic treatment takes, making it an ideal option for busy adults.
Invisalign is effective for patients who have moderate to severe malocclusion, including:
- Over jet
- Cross bite
Invisalign® vs. Traditional Braces
Invisalign offers numerous important benefits compared with traditional braces:
- Invisible: Say goodbye to “brace face”. No one will notice you’re wearing Invisalign’s clear aligner trays making them a much more attractive option over unsightly metal brackets and wires.
- Increased comfort: Unlike metal wires and brackets that irritate your teeth and gums, your plastic trays will have smooth edges, making the entire straightening process much more comfortable.
- Removable: You can take out your trays when brushing or flossing, making your daily oral hygiene routines easier to complete. You can also remove your aligner during meals, so you can eat whatever you want and not have to worry about the food restrictions associated with conventional braces.
- Customization: Your treatment will be customized to address your unique orthodontic needs. Dr. Novak will take detailed impressions of your teeth which will be used to craft your Invisalign aligner trays.
- Fewer office visits: With metal braces, you need to visit the orthodontist frequently to have your braces tightened. However, with Invisalign, you’ll only need to visit Dr. Novak’s office once every four to six weeks for pain-free check-ups.
Is Invisalign® Right for Me?
Invisalign® is remarkably effective when used to correct minor to moderate spacing, crowding and rotation issues. It is also ideal for orthodontic relapse; if you wore braces in the past but find that your teeth have gradually returned to their misaligned positions, Invisalign treatment can help correct the issue.
However, if you are experiencing major orthodontic and bite alignment issues, Dr. Novak does not recommend Invisalign® for treatment. In these cases, she refers patients to an orthodontic specialist.
Other Orthodontic Treatment Options
If your orthodontic needs require only minor tweaking or if you have lost your retainer, Dr. Novak offers BioLiner treatment options. While effective for slight adjustments, this treatment option is not suitable for addressing serious alignment issues.
Schedule Your Free Orthodontic Consultation Today
If you’d like to enjoy a straight, beautiful smile, call South Natick Dental today at 508-655-8020 to schedule your free Invisalign consultation. Dr. Novak happily welcomes patients from throughout Massachusetts, including Natick, Wellesley, Dover and Sherborn.